Saturday, May 8, 2010

Southwestern Corn and Sweet Potato Soup

Admittedly this picture isn't pretty. It was right before we finished all of it, and I wanted a picture. It was such an easy and good dinner, that I had to post it.
This recipe was adapated from the Moosewood Cookbook, low fat favorites. I inherited this cookbook, when we bought our house. The previous owner was an ebay book seller and gave me a bunch of cookbooks. This one was such a find! I probably would have never bought the book because of the name, low fat favorites, sounds cheezy. Anyway, the recipes in it are so flavorful, and good for you, plus they always turn out. This soup recipes jumped at me because it has sweet potatoes in it, I knew it would be good, what is not to love about sweet potatoes. I added millet to get more grains in my diet, and an extra potato for creaminess, both are optional.
Posted by Picasa
1/4 c millet ( optional)
1 C finely chopped onions
2 cloves garlic
1 small chili, seeded and minced
1/4 tsp salt
3-5 C stock, veggie or chicken
2 1/2 tsp cumin
1 md. sweet potato, diced
1 potato diced (optional, it just makes it a little heartier)
1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
3 C fresh or frozen corn
salt to taste
lime wedges, finely chopped cilantro leaves
In a heavy bottom pan, toast the millet until golden brown. Add the onions, garlic,chile, and salt to 1 C of the stock simmer for ten minutes until the onions are soft. In a small bowl make a paste with the cumin and a tablespoon of the stock, stir in the pot, and simmer for 2 minutes. Add the sweet potato, and potato (if adding), and the remaining stock ( I added close to five cups of stock because it was too thick, with the added potato and millet) cook another 10 minutes or until soft. Add the bell pepper, and corn and simmer for another 10 minutes or until they are soft. Puree about half of the soup in the blender or food processor and return it to the pot. The soup will be creamy and thick. Add salt to taste and reheat. Garnish as desired.

1 comment:

thebellcrew said...

yup that sounds way yummy. I am defintely going to try it. Although I don't think matt will appreciate it as much because I already make way too many soups. Did mom make a lot of soups growing up? I think thats why I like them so much.