Sunday, August 9, 2009

Energy Bars (minus all the crap)

So I am training for a half iron man right now, and I have been looking for a energy bar that isn't full of high fructose corn syrup, or tons of sugar, or any of the number of other ingredients that are unrecognizable. So I found a recipe that I have played around with and made a few different ways and I think I like this one the best......
(sorry no pic. we ate them to fast!)

1/2 cup brown rice syrup ****
1/4 cup of cane sugar ***
3/4 t. salt
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. vanilla

Combine all of these ingredients in a sauce pan and heat over medium high heat until the ingredients are well incorporated and it comes to a boil.

Meanwhile add the dry ingredients to a bowl----

2 cups oats
1 cup puffed rice cereal
1 cup puffed wheat cereal
1/4 cup flax seed
1 cup of anything you would like ( I have added roasted peanuts, raisins, pumpkin seeds, cranberries, candied ginger, chocolate chips, golden raisins, dates, dried papaya......really just add a mix of anything you have on hand.)
1/4 cup coconut (optional)

Combine the wet and dry mixture and press into a 9 x13 baking pan. Let it sit and it will get gooey and oh so good.

Note: I have also made this with peanut butter and honey instead of the brown rice syrup, and cane sugar

**you can get brown rice syrup at a health food store and use it as a replacer for sugar, it is just brown rice boiled down, it kind of tastes carmaley.
** try to find sugar that hasn't been stripped down of all of it's minerals, they sell a good organic sugar at Costco for a good deal.

No comments: