Sunday, May 31, 2009

Greek Yogurt Stawberry Parfait

This is my first posting of food ( I actually have tons of pictures of recipes and food I have made to post but haven't got around to it). Scotty laughs because when we got married, I told him straight up, I am not domestic, and I won't cook. I was letting him know beforehand so he wouldn't be disappointed when there wasn't home cooked meals. But after we got married, cooking took on a whole new meaning, cooking for someone else is much more enjoyable then for yourself. To make a long story short, I have become passionate about cooking, so much so that I watch the Food Network religiously. I know super nerdy, but I could also look up and new recipes for hours. So here is one that I found. I layered the parfait with homemade granola, plain Greek yogurt, blueberries, strawberries, bananas, and honey. I will post the granola recipe below.... ( note I have a recipe I like even better that I will post a little later)

Honey Coconut Granola ( I adapted this recipe from Nummy Kitchen's blog, adding a few things)

4 cups old-fashioned oats
1/2 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup flax seed
3 cups puffed cereal ( I used kamut, millet, brown rice)*
1 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup brown rice syrup ( the recipe called for brown sugar)*
1/2 cup coconut oil ( you could use a mild olive oil)*
1/2 cup honey ( I added a little more to make it sweeter)
2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
1-2 cup raisins
( you can also add almonds or nuts)
In a large bowl, combine oats, coconut, flax, wheat germ, and puffed cereal; set aside. In a saucepan, combine brown rice syrup, oil, honey and cinnamon; bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and stir in vanilla. Pour over oat mixture; stir to coat. Spread in a large shallow baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool. Add raisins. Store in an airtight container.

***You can get these at Good Earth, or a Health Food Store***

2 comments:

thebellcrew said...

Oh my gosh I am going to try this recipe! The pictures before don't even look like isaiah, weird, but he looks dang cute. Oh look on autism.com for different vaccination schedules for kids I found some I think I am going to follow for ez.

Diana said...

My little Desi! Who would have thought that you would join the "food network" gang! I must admit I am a HUGE sucker for it, (while on vacation) because we don't have it at home. Anyways...You reminded me of your really great granola recipe that you had told me about months ago. Post that one soon! Also, the yogurt thing looks so yummy! I agree, cooking for two is more fun. I can't wait to hear/try some of your recipes..get posting would ya!